Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Food City: Totto Ramen


It’s been a long time since I’ve posted a Food City entry in my blog. It’s about time I gush about the restaurants I’ve tried in New York City - It would be a sin not to! New York as you all know is one of the biggest foodie capitals in the world, if not, the BIGGEST. I mean, there are just so, so, soo many restaurants and foodie places with all genres of gastronomic delight cluttered in and around the city. Walking down either 8th or 9th avenue is already a display of a myriad of restaurants and delis offering anything from the festive to the familiar. And that’s only in the midtown area! So don’t blame me if I panicked at the thought of trying all these new and vibrant pot holes of deliciousness given the amount of time I have here. A year is not enough my friends, not even two.
Totto Ramen. I’ve lived in the midtown area during my first few weeks in the city. Totto Ramen is located along 52nd street and 8th avenue on this lower ground floor nook of an apartment. Every time I walk pass these streets, there always seem to be a huge line of people outside this small and narrow basement restaurant. I was curious enough to do my research and I eagerly discovered that this was in fact one of the top ramen spots in the city; Number 3 to be exact. So I had to check this one out. foodie buddies were: Jaime & Alessia.


After an hour of waiting (under the rain) we finally were called by the japanese dude in the black shirt. "Eprrol, Eprrrol!" - my name never sounded as sweet. lol



you know its authentic when everyone who works there has a strong Japanese accent.


for appetizers, a juicy and surprisingly tender grilled squid on a stick. you would think grilled squid is like chewing gum in the mouth, this one was clearly not. one word: YUMMM!


I have to say, this was quite amazing. This is the part where i say "The hour wait was worth it". i had the most amazing Miso Ramen with extra egg and meat. the soup was very flavorful and the noodles - oh the noodles were cooked perfectly! Now that fall is just around the corner, i'm going to need more of this when it starts getting cold again :)

TOTTO RAMEN:

366 West 52nd Street and 8th ave.
New York, NY 10019

check them out online: http://tottoramen.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment